Vietnamese Shrimp Toast: A Delicious and Easy-to-Make Appetizer
Shrimp toast is a popular appetizer in many Asian cuisines, and Vietnamese shrimp toast is no exception. This dish is a perfect combination of crispy bread and flavorful shrimp paste, making it a crowd-pleaser at any party or gathering. In this article, we will explore the history of Vietnamese shrimp toast, the ingredients needed to make it, and a step-by-step guide on how to prepare this delicious dish.
The History of Vietnamese Shrimp Toast
Shrimp toast is believed to have originated in China during the Tang Dynasty (618-907 AD). It was then introduced to other Asian countries, including Vietnam, where it has become a popular appetizer. Vietnamese shrimp toast is typically made with a mixture of shrimp paste, garlic, and other seasonings, which is then spread onto bread and deep-fried until crispy.
The Ingredients Needed to Make Vietnamese Shrimp Toast
Here are the ingredients you will need to make Vietnamese shrimp toast:
For the Shrimp Paste:
- 1 pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
For the Toast:
- 8 slices of white bread, crusts removed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup of sesame seeds
- Oil for frying
How to Make Vietnamese Shrimp Toast
Now that you have all the ingredients, let’s get started on making Vietnamese shrimp toast:
Step 1: Make the Shrimp Paste
- Place the shrimp, garlic, fish sauce, cornstarch, sugar, and black pepper in a food processor and pulse until a smooth paste forms.
- Transfer the shrimp paste to a bowl and set aside.
Step 2: Prepare the Toast
- Preheat the oil in a deep fryer or a large pot to 350°F.
- Spread a generous amount of shrimp paste onto each slice of bread.
- Beat the egg in a shallow dish and dip each slice of bread into the egg, making sure to coat both sides.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over the egg-coated bread.
Step 3: Fry the Toast
- Carefully place the bread slices, shrimp paste side down, into the hot oil.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Flip the bread slices over and fry for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the shrimp toast from the oil and place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
Step 4: Serve and Enjoy
Once the shrimp toast has cooled slightly, it is ready to be served. You can serve it with a sweet chili sauce or a soy sauce dipping sauce. Enjoy!
Vietnamese shrimp toast is a delicious and easy-to-make appetizer that is perfect for any occasion. With just a few simple ingredients and a little bit of frying, you can create a crowd-pleasing dish that will leave your guests wanting more. So why not give it a try and impress your friends and family with your culinary skills?
You are looking : vietnamese shrimp toast