Shrimp Tempura Ramen: A Delicious and Satisfying Japanese Dish
Shrimp tempura ramen is a popular Japanese dish that combines the flavors of crispy shrimp tempura and savory ramen noodles. This dish is a perfect comfort food that is both filling and satisfying. In this article, we will explore the history of shrimp tempura ramen, the ingredients used to make it, and how to prepare it at home.
The History of Shrimp Tempura Ramen
Ramen is a Japanese dish that originated in China. It is a noodle soup dish that is made with wheat noodles, broth, and various toppings. Ramen became popular in Japan after World War II, and it has since become a staple in Japanese cuisine. Shrimp tempura, on the other hand, is a Japanese dish that originated in the 16th century. It is made by deep-frying shrimp in a light batter. The combination of shrimp tempura and ramen is a relatively new creation that has gained popularity in recent years.
The Ingredients Used to Make Shrimp Tempura Ramen
The first ingredient in shrimp tempura ramen is the ramen noodles. Ramen noodles are made from wheat flour, water, and kansui, which is a type of alkaline mineral water. The alkaline water gives the noodles their unique texture and flavor. Ramen noodles can be found in most Asian grocery stores and are available in various thicknesses.
The broth is the base of the ramen soup. It is usually made from pork bones, chicken bones, or a combination of both. The broth is simmered for several hours to extract the flavors from the bones. Other ingredients such as soy sauce, mirin, and sake are added to the broth to enhance its flavor.
The shrimp tempura is made by coating the shrimp in a light batter made from flour, cornstarch, and water. The shrimp is then deep-fried until it is crispy and golden brown. The shrimp tempura is then placed on top of the ramen soup.
Various toppings can be added to shrimp tempura ramen to enhance its flavor. Some popular toppings include sliced green onions, bamboo shoots, nori, and soft-boiled eggs. These toppings add texture and flavor to the dish.
How to Prepare Shrimp Tempura Ramen at Home
Preparing shrimp tempura ramen at home is relatively easy. Here is a step-by-step guide:
- 4 cups of chicken or pork broth
- 2 packs of ramen noodles
- 12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of cornstarch
- 1 cup of cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Sliced green onions, bamboo shoots, nori, and soft-boiled eggs for toppings
- In a large pot, bring the broth to a boil. Reduce the heat and let it simmer.
- In a separate pot, cook the ramen noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, and baking powder. Mix well.
- Add the cold water to the dry ingredients and mix until a smooth batter is formed.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep fryer or a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Dip the shrimp in the batter and coat well.
- Carefully place the shrimp in the hot oil and fry until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the shrimp from the oil and place them on a paper towel to drain excess oil.
- To assemble the ramen, divide the cooked noodles into four bowls.
- Pour the hot broth over the noodles.
- Place three shrimp on top of each bowl of ramen.
- Add the sliced green onions, bamboo shoots, nori, and soft-boiled eggs as desired.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Shrimp tempura ramen is a delicious and satisfying Japanese dish that is perfect for any occasion. It combines the flavors of crispy shrimp tempura and savory ramen noodles to create a unique and flavorful dish. With the right ingredients and a little bit of practice, you can easily prepare shrimp tempura ramen at home and impress your family and friends with your culinary skills.
You are looking : shrimp tempura ramen