Shrimp Roti: A Delicious Caribbean Dish
Shrimp roti is a popular Caribbean dish that is loved by many. It is a flavorful and filling meal that is perfect for any occasion. The dish is made up of a soft, flaky roti bread that is filled with a spicy shrimp curry. The combination of the two creates a delicious and satisfying meal that is sure to please any palate.
The History of Shrimp Roti
Roti is a type of flatbread that is popular in many parts of the world, including the Caribbean. It is believed that roti was brought to the Caribbean by Indian immigrants who came to the region in the 19th century. Over time, the dish evolved to include a variety of fillings, including shrimp.
Shrimp roti is made up of two main components: the roti bread and the shrimp curry filling. The ingredients for each are as follows:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup warm water
Shrimp Curry Filling
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the vegetable oil and mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the warm water and mix until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for 5-10 minutes, until it is smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Roll out each ball of dough into a thin circle.
- Cook each roti for 1-2 minutes on each side, until it is lightly browned and puffed up.
Shrimp Curry Filling
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the curry powder, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes, until they are pink and cooked through.
- Add the coconut milk and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes, until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Shrimp roti is typically served with a side of chutney or hot sauce. It can also be served with a side of rice and beans for a more filling meal. Some people also like to add additional vegetables to the shrimp curry filling, such as bell peppers or potatoes.
Shrimp roti is a delicious and satisfying Caribbean dish that is perfect for any occasion. It is easy to make and can be customized to suit your tastes. Whether you are a fan of spicy food or prefer something milder, shrimp roti is sure to please. So why not give it a try and experience the flavors of the Caribbean for yourself?
You are looking : shrimp roti