Fried Shrimp Basket: A Delicious Seafood Delight
Seafood lovers rejoice! If you’re looking for a delicious and satisfying meal, look no further than the fried shrimp basket. This classic dish is a staple in seafood restaurants across the country, and for good reason. With its crispy, golden-brown exterior and tender, juicy shrimp inside, it’s the perfect combination of flavor and texture. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at what makes the fried shrimp basket so special, and how you can enjoy it at home.
What is a Fried Shrimp Basket?
At its most basic, a fried shrimp basket is a dish consisting of breaded and fried shrimp served with a side of fries. However, there are many variations on this classic dish, with different batters, seasonings, and dipping sauces. Some restaurants even offer a “surf and turf” version, with a combination of shrimp and steak or chicken.
The Perfect Batter
One of the keys to a great fried shrimp basket is the batter. A good batter should be light and crispy, with just the right amount of seasoning to complement the flavor of the shrimp. Some popular batters include beer batter, cornmeal batter, and panko breadcrumb batter. Each has its own unique texture and flavor, so it’s worth experimenting to find your favorite.
Seasonings and Dipping Sauces
Another important aspect of the fried shrimp basket is the seasoning. Some popular seasonings include Old Bay, Cajun seasoning, and garlic powder. These can be added to the batter or sprinkled on top of the finished dish. And of course, no fried shrimp basket is complete without a dipping sauce. Some popular options include cocktail sauce, tartar sauce, and remoulade sauce.
Making a Fried Shrimp Basket at Home
If you’re a seafood lover, there’s no reason you can’t enjoy a delicious fried shrimp basket in the comfort of your own home. Here’s a simple recipe to get you started:
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the flour, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- In another shallow dish, pour the buttermilk.
- In a third shallow dish, place the panko breadcrumbs.
- Working in batches, dredge the shrimp in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess. Dip the shrimp in the buttermilk, then coat in the panko breadcrumbs.
- In a large skillet, heat about 1 inch of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Fry the shrimp in batches until golden brown and cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Drain the shrimp on a paper towel-lined plate, and serve with your favorite dipping sauce and a side of fries.
The fried shrimp basket is a classic seafood dish that never goes out of style. Whether you’re enjoying it at a restaurant or making it at home, it’s a delicious and satisfying meal that’s sure to please. So next time you’re in the mood for some seafood, give the fried shrimp basket a try!
You are looking : fried shrimp basket