Beer Battered Shrimp Tacos: A Delicious Twist on a Classic Dish
Shrimp tacos are a classic dish that has been enjoyed by many for years. However, have you ever tried beer battered shrimp tacos? This delicious twist on the classic dish adds a crispy and flavorful coating to the shrimp, making it a must-try for any seafood lover. In this article, we will explore the history of beer battered shrimp tacos, the ingredients needed to make them, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare this mouth-watering dish.
The History of Beer Battered Shrimp Tacos
The origins of beer battered shrimp tacos are not clear, but it is believed that they originated in coastal regions of Mexico. The use of beer in the batter is said to have been introduced by German immigrants who settled in Mexico in the late 1800s. The beer adds a unique flavor to the batter and helps to create a light and crispy texture.
For the Beer Batter:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup beer (lager or pilsner)
For the Shrimp:
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the Tacos:
- 8-10 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Step 1: Make the Beer Batter
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, and black pepper.
- Slowly pour in the beer, whisking constantly until the batter is smooth and free of lumps.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Step 2: Prepare the Shrimp
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the flour, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels and dredge them in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Dip the shrimp into the beer batter, making sure they are fully coated.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it reaches 350°F.
- Carefully add the shrimp to the hot oil, frying in batches if necessary, until they are golden brown and crispy, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove the shrimp from the oil with a slotted spoon and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
Step 3: Assemble the Tacos
- Warm the tortillas in a dry skillet or on a griddle until they are soft and pliable.
- Divide the shredded cabbage, diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro, and diced red onion among the tortillas.
- Top each taco with 3-4 beer battered shrimp and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Beer battered shrimp tacos are a delicious twist on a classic dish that is sure to impress your family and friends. With a crispy and flavorful coating, these tacos are perfect for any seafood lover. By following the simple instructions outlined in this article, you can easily prepare this mouth-watering dish in the comfort of your own home. So why not give it a try and see for yourself why beer battered shrimp tacos are a must-try for any foodie!
You are looking : beer battered shrimp tacos